I can't believe that I found you, fate did a number on me. If you end up with my arms around you, it's meant to be. Well, maybe my crazy is showing, but baby I'm hooked on your touch. But wherever my life is going, there ain't no rush. 'Cause wherever you're goin', I'd like to go too, if you don't have anything better to do. I'd love to spend some more time together, so what are you doin' between now and forever? I'll take the blue with the gray days, I just pray the road will be long, 'cause if I'm beside you there's no way I can go wrong. - Bryan White

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Paleo Week One

When Jo was here for Wesley's blessing she bought me the book that she used to get into shape. It's about a diet that ancient man (paleolithic era) lived by. Consists mainly of eating vegetables, fruits and lean meats/seafood. You may think that sounds similar to Atkins, but on Atkins you can eat fatty meats like bacon, hot dogs, etc and you can also eat dairy. I've actually really enjoyed the diet - I was seriously lacking in the fruit and veggie department before! You can have three 'free' meals a week, so occasionally I'll have a sandwich or a bowl of cereal - nothing too crazy!
Well, I have been on the plan for a whole week now and am proud to say I lost 5 pounds this week! That's not bad considering I took the whole 4th of July weekend 'off ' (but still was sensible) and haven't started an exercise routine at all yet. (Besides all the walking we did this last weekend.)
So, here's the deal: I'm blogging all this to keep myself accountable and motivated. I am trying to go from this 'before' picture (taken on Wesley's blessing day [May, 2009]) to this 'after' picture (an engagement pic taken in October of '05).

From this: Back to this:

I was horrified by that picture when I saw it - I still look pregnant. That was a real eye-opener. There is roughly a 70 pound difference between those two pictures. I have broken up my total weight loss goal into 3 parts - the first is to lose 22 pounds, then 20 more, and then 25 at the end. So, that is a total of 67 pounds - it just looks a lot more attainable broken up like that! I have also given myself 12 months to complete this goal. I'd like to be at my goal weight by sometime in June of 2010. (My 10 year high school reunion is another good motivator!)
5 down out of my first 22 - 17 to go! I'll occasionally be posting updates and pictures as I progress.
Thanks for any support and/or encouraging words!! :)

11 comments:

Stefanie said...

woo hoo! go Paleo! You can do it!!

Megan said...

Way to go on the 5 lbs! I am glad that you found a sensible diet and not a crazy one (like the Atkins) that is so hard to maintain. Not to mention, breaking down your goals like that is very smart. I think you will do great! You have done this before (you lost weight before I met you at curves, no?) So I am positive you can do it again. Having kids definitely takes a toll on your body. I

Zack said...

That is so awesome! 5 lbs your first week without an exercise routine? Wow! Once you figure out an exercise schedule your goal will be way easy! Also, I agree with the fruits and veggies thing. They are good and make you feel good but hardly anybody eats enough of them! Good luck with the next 17!

stacey said...

Good luck! Sounds like you are off to a super start. A friend of mine from college is doing something similar, she is calling it her Driver's License project. Her goal is to get down to the weight on her driver's license so that she can be honest. :) This will be good motivation for all of us post-pregnancy folks out there, so thank you for that.

Maury said...

Corynn, it looks like you are off to a great start! You can do anything you set your mind to!

P.S. My diet helps are: chewing gum (I prefer Extra's Classic Bubble flavor), and just plain old fudgesicles. Only sixty calories... enjoy each one very, very S.L.O.W.L.Y. as a reward for doing good for a few days.

CORYNN AND JER said...

Megan -
I did lose weight - about 40 pounds - before starting to work at Curves. My mission jump-started that weight loss and then Jenny Craig helped me with the rest once I got home. :) I wish I enjoyed running like you do. (PS. Evan is such a cutie!)

Callie -
I am really looking forward to finding some time for me to exercise.. hopefully soon!

Stacey -
My weight on my driver's license is 135 - hahahahaha... I NEVER weighed that little. Oh well!

Kari Pierson said...

That is really great Corynn! You've also inspired me to loose that extra 30 pounds that have been yo-yo-ing (is that even a word?) on and off me since the twins. I'll be looking into the same diet since I LOVE fruits and veggies! Now's a good time too since all the fruits and veggies are in season and more affordable. Thanks for the inspiration! Keep going girl!

CORYNN AND JER said...

Maury - Thanks for the tips! I have already bought 3 new types of sugarless gum. Now I'll have to pick up some fudgesicles next time I'm in the grocery store. :)

Kari - Here's the link for the book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Weight-Healthy-Designed/dp/0471267554/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247180237&sr=8-1
And it's totally true about the fruit being in season - especially every kind of melon!

Dax and Steph said...

Congrats on the 5 pounds. It seems like every time I get motivated to lose weight I find out I'm pregnant! (Yes that does mean I have only been motivated twice!) Sounds like a great diet. I think we need to get an exercise group going as one of the enrichment groups. It's always better to have someone to work with! If you ever want to just go on walks or anything feel free to give me a call. Ryan and I love walks and I am trying to stay as active as I can.

Mindy Brown said...

Awesome job! Hey, I have started a new bog if you want to join it!

http://imreallygonnaloseit.blogspot.com/

Hopefully it can motivate me to lose 37 lbs! (I made that goal in feburary!) I hope that I can get others to join and make post on it so we can encourage each other and tell what works for us!

Mindy

Adriana Romanini said...

I'm really excited for you Corynn! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. :D